Summer Fashion Styling Courses – My Toronto Student!
It seemed to come and go in a flash but what a week. I feel sometimes I have to pinch myself at how lucky I am to do something I love so much and my one week Personal Styling Diploma course in early August was one of those times. I had one very special lady I want to mention on this course. She came all the way from Toronto to complete my Diploma in Personal Styling to my utter amazement. Carol Takasahi is a legal clerk from Toronto. While travelling in Ireland 5 years ago she stumbled across a Stylefish leaflet about fashion styling courses I was teaching in The Stillorgan Park Hotel and decided while in Dublin to join in!
Carol wasn’t around long enough to complete the course so I ended up sending her course materials and styling ideas in the post to make sure she didn’t miss out! This course was purely for Carol’s enjoyment and for her own style. Since then (2009) Carol has been keeping in touch with Stylefish and me through my newsletter and to my utter amazement called me as soon as she read about my one week Diploma course to sign up! “Are you sure?” was my first response! Through my class Carol had discovered a love of fashion and a passion for wanting to help others with their style. Now, having completed her course is back in Toronto and is going back to work part-time in order to set up her business as a personal stylist and coach.
I am honoured Stylefish has been and is able to inspire and mentor her towards doing something she loves and exploring her love of fashion in Canada! There are moments in life you realise why you do what you do and this is certainly one of those moments for me. Being able to help someone else do something they love is very special
I also don’t want to forget the other fabulous lady in this group! Susan Buckley came from Mallow in Cork to complete my Diploma course. Another lady with a passion for fashion, Susan has worked in HR in a bank for 12 years before leaving in February of this year to follow other passions including fashion! I want to welcome both Susan and Carol to the Stylefish community and am delighted Stylefish has been part of their fashion journey!
Summer Fashion Styling Course Moments!
1. Beautiful course surroundings at 34 Upper Fitzwilliam Street in the heart of georgian Dublin (and a bit too close to Topshop!)
2. Running first mock body shape assessments together before hitting the shops!
3. First experience choosing looks for various body shapes on the shop floor. This picture was taken with both Carol and Susan talking through the looks they picked in the personal shopping suite in House of Fraser.
4. Understanding how colour theory works, how certain colours work well for women and others make us look tired and how to know the difference. We looked at using colour to help women get more creative with their styling, make-up and hair colouring and how to build a great wardrobe with the right mix of neutrals and colour.
5. Susan and Carol styling their first real clients on the final day of their training in Dundrum Town Centre. They had two very different ladies and age groups and they had a lot of fun choosing looks to suit their clients age, budget, needs, shape and personality!
Happy styling ladies!
Click here to view a little video I made with Carol on our final day of training in House of Fraser.